Wednesday 4 August 2010

Paki !

"Look a Negro" Franz Fanon had heard 100 yrs ago and "Paki paki" was what I heard 2 days ago...

No, I am not a "paki". I have never quite understood the implication of this term "paki" nor have I ever thought that I would be a target of this racial slur until yesterday... I thought we had moved on from name calling and progressing towards a modern society of acceptance without raising our noses to difference. I was shocked and stunned by this venomous projectile that came my way. I don't really know what I had done wrong to incur such wrath. Etymologically, "paki" is derived from Pakistan and in contemporary"United Kingdom" it refers to all those who are Asians, specifically those from Pakistan, India... It is a word of abuse.

I think more than being offended itself, it just made me really sad. We are still being judged by our corporeal layer and being slotted into categories based on stereotypical preconception. I have an identity. I am a girl from Mauritius and if you do not know where it is, it's that tiny Island on the east of Madagascar, where many of you pay loads to come and visit!


2 comments:

  1. You look asian --> Paki for a white ignorant Briton :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should not put everyone in the same basket but yeah there are still lots of racists out there. Sad but true. But I think the majority are not such bigots.

    ReplyDelete